Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A training session!

So, last week, I was still with my normal crew, but we have been shoved together with another crew to allow a supervisor to take a sabbatical. it made our crew grow from 4 to 8, which was really cool! It gave me and Andy a chance to really try out our ability to lead more people.


But! after a day off, I was asked to be apart of a National Civilian Conservation Corps Team Leader training. They needed to learn how to build trail and then be able to teach their new crews how to build trail without us. They are a great group of people, FILLED with positivity and excitement. They've been with each other and only each other for the last 2 weeks, but you would never know! They manage to work with each other as a great team no matter who is put together and they work so hard it's ridiculous. We managed to redo an entire trail (3 miles) of the historic Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe. It was mostly moving sand, which is normally a boring job but they made it so much fun for me and them.



This is my excitement at working with the ever positive NCCC.
They loved the views and enjoyed eating lunch at some amazing vistas.

They get all of their gear given to them from the government (they are a national program instead of a state program like the NCC) and they rock it so hard!
Break time!
NCCC love! These boys worked like BEASTS all 3 days of training.


Safety meeting in the morning was freezing. Literally we were waking up to less than 32 degree weather. Every night was extraordinarily cold, and yet they kept an amazingly happy attitude.

I leave you with a beautiful view of Tahoe, but sadly it could never show how beautiful it is in real life. It is something all of those team leaders will hopefully keep in their mind while they are leading their new teams throughout the southwest and south in general. I loved working with them and they really brought a new light to my job that I can only hope I can pass on to my own crew. They taught me some things that I'm not sure I could even explain to them when they left because it's so ethereal and extraordinary, and I am bringing it next week to my crew as best as I can. I thank them for their excitement and teaching me how our job can continue to be fabulous no matter the downturn of events. Thank you thank you thank you NCCC!

No comments: